Thursday, June 30, 2011

What's Your Favorite Coneflower?

'B's Knees'
Purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) have always been a favorite.  They have a natural quality,  yet can add a punch of color to a mixed planting. Mine bloom in partial sun and full sun.  Up to this year, I have only planted two varieties, including the species and 'Magnus'.

However, wanting a smaller version for a new planting bed, I stumbled across a new variety called 'B's Knees' at a local Bridgehampton nursery.  They're already blooming!  The color is a much darker magenta than the color of the others.  Each plant is producing quite a few buds so it should be a long-blooming plant.

So what varieties are you growing?

'B's Knees' echinacea with Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant'
New blossoms provide a lighter contrasting color and shape


2 comments:

chey said...

Hi Jeff, Thanks for visiting my blog!

My favorite coneflower is the standard purple. It reseeds so easily, and the seedlings seem to have subtle variances which are very appealing, especially as the flowers develop.

Love your blog!

Jeff, Gardener in Chief said...

Thanks for your comment. My species do spread well by seed. Has helped when I needed new ones after voles gorged on others. I hope B's Knees spreads a bit. Finding an unexpected flower among plantings helps add a more natural feel.