Saturday, July 9, 2011

Last Call

If you're like me, you promised to hang up the planting tools by July. Before heat melted you and your new plantings.  However, this never happens in my Hamptons garden.  When the garden is in full bloom, it's the best time to see what's working, what's not and what's missing.

So when one of my favorite mail order companies,  Lazy S's Farm Nursery,  sent me news of a big sale, I immediately started shopping. Their incredible online catalog has such an extensive collection of perennials.  Many that I can't find elsewhere. (Can you believe they have 12 astilbe cultivars?) And the thorough plant descriptions help expand my horticultural education.

Instead of using stock photos,  Lazy S's Farm takes their own pics.  Many showing plants in their garden.  Their online photos of Korean Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis brachytricha) sold me at first glance.

Plants are always big and healthy so they usually perform well the first year.  Here's a photo of the geranium 'Orkney Cherry" that I bought this year.  It's already lighting up a shady bed.

Geranium 'Orkney Cherry'

Their box discount sale requires buying only nine plants for 20% off.   Planting nine more plants in July won't be a big deal, right?