Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays.  As a child, my parents made sure Halloween was a special time. Mom crafted homemade costumes every year.  Dad helped us carve spooky faces in pumpkins.  And we plastered the downstairs windows with Hallmark cardboard ghosts and witches.

These days, I don't don a costume every year, but do still decorate my Hamptons house and garden.  This year,  I found this concrete-looking Jack-o'-lantern.  It's actually a terracotta shell covered with a stone/concrete plaster on the outer surfaces.  It has a wonderful aged appearance, looking like it has been sitting in my garden for years.  The inside terracotta walls produce an orange glow when illuminated by a candle.

Thought is was a perfect garden "statue" to ward off evil spirits (and maybe a few voles) on this All Hallow's Eve.

No comments: