Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can You Keep a Secret?

Enduring beauty
This pretty little pink heather, blooming in the teal blue pot on my rosewood side table, is dead.  That's right.  Dead as a doornail.  Crispy as well-done bacon.  Devoid of life, it's now just a lovely dried flower.

I bought this little plant (alive and well) last fall at a Southampton nursery.  It was displayed among the colorful ornamental peppers and hothouse chrysanthemums.  I thought it would make a nice indoor plant that could be transplanted outdoors when the flowers disappeared. Surprisingly, the flowers never did disappear.  Its enduring beauty was also its downfall.  Displaying no dehydration, I continually forgot to water it.

So for my friends who tell me that you don't have a green thumb, this is a perfect plant for you.  If it dies, no one will know.  It'll be our little secret.


Dead or alive? I'll never tell.



No comments: